Thursday, August 18, 2011

Niagara Falls, NY

Day One complete! Our first day was not without it's moments, but in the end it was a major success. We packed my Honda Fit with care and believe me when I tell you, it's a work of art. I have all the clothes that I own with me, as well as all our camping gear, food, etc etc etc. The Fit is fully loaded.

The Fit
The falls
We left Boston around 8am and made extremely good time all the way to our destination of Niagara Falls. We stopped for lunch around the Finger Lakes region and we were in Niagara by about 5pm. The park was quiet and uncrowded at that time of night- it was a beautiful time to do the traditional ride on the Maid of the Mist boat. We got to spend plenty of time taking it in before heading to our campsite. Niagara Falls is truly beautiful.
Kels and me on the Maid 

And a rainbow too

Then we headed 5 miles down the road to the luxurious Niagara Falls Campgrounds (complete with WiFi, wow). It has been a great place to do a first-run of our camping routine. We had plenty of daylight to work with when we arrived and it's a good thing, because right away we broke a key component of my tent (my mom's old 80's-style Sierra Designs beauty). But we are resourceful, and a little superglue + duct tape went a long way toward solving that problem. The tent is holding up wonderfully as we speak. The rustic old camping stove I purchased out of somebody's backyard last weekend also worked beautifully, and Kelsey's vegetarian chili was an EXTREMELY satisfying dinner :)

The only other major issue we had tonight (after the tent problem) was that the DC socket in my car, which we are using to charge our phones and other essential things for the next few weeks, suddenly stopped working just as the sun was going down. I tried to just let it go but it made me nervous to have something wrong with my car on our first night. So I decided to figure it out. And look, I might be blonde, but I put my thinking cap on, and the first thing I figured (how??) was that I should check the fuse. I didn't know how to do that before, but after reading my owner's manual, I figured it out. And I was right- it was the fuse. And the store here at the campsite had extra fuses for us to buy. And I installed the new one. Major problem #2- solved. We are a couple of geniuses, out here in the wilderness. Aren't you proud of us?!

Time for some rest- off to Chicago bright and early tomorrow :) We have lots of frogs nearby singing us to sleep- yay camping! Missing my people back home but still excited about the road ahead. More from us soon. xo.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're off to a good start! Have fun and I'll see you when you get here!

    Kir

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap-- you fixed the broken tent part AND figured out the fuse was the problem with the DC outlet in the Fit... then FIXED it????

    Daughter 1, you are a formidable force (as is your co-pilot, of course!). I'm choosing to believe that powerful brain of yours and your resourceful instincts were originally stimulated by my decision to make you stay in your room for a "nap" everyday for an hour till you were oh, 8 or 9, (despite the fact that you stopped actually "napping" when you were about one and a half).

    Clearly the cumulative effects of "alone time" have rendered you a blonde chick MacGyver-- the coolest guy ever, "armed with almost infinite scientific resourcefulness" (thanks IMDB:)! Stand back LA, Tud "The Map" Demuth is headed your way, and she KNOWS what she's doin'!!

    The Falls look amazing! So psyched you got there in plenty of time to enjoy a ride on "The Maid"-- SO COOL!! Must have been an awesome way to wrap up Day 1 of the big aventure!

    Obviously SO much more fun to come! Thanks again for taking us along via the blog-- big fun to read!

    Party on Wayne!
    Sending LOTS of love your way!!
    xoxoM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have an awesome adventure! Can't wait to read your next post. Drew and I were impressed with your skills. Last night Drew left the lights on in my car while we went into Verizon. It took 2 hours (strike). When we came out the car was dead. I was barely able to find the tel # for roadside assistance. Then Drew managed to ask I nice gentleman if he had jumper cables,which he did. He had to teach us how to open the hood. Pathetic, I know. Stay safe,xoxotiff

    ReplyDelete